- On June 9, 2018
- In Tips for travellers
- Tags Tags: accommodation in uganda, affordable gorilla trek, affordable tours in uganda, Africa Adventure Vacation, Africa Exclusive, africa gorillas, Africa Safari, African Adventure Travellers, african safari, African safari adventure tours, African Safaris, African travel, African vacations, and mountain climbing or hiking safaris, best uganda holiday safari, Best Uganda Safaris, Best Ugandan safari holiday, Bird Uganda Safaris, birding safari, birding safaris, birding tours, budget gorilla safari, budget gorilla safaris, budget gorilla safaris in uganda, budget gorilla tours, Budget Packages to Uganda, budget safaris in uganda, budgetgorilla tours, bwindi gorillas, bwindi gorillas from kigali, bwindi national park holidays, bwindi permits, chimpanzee tours in uganda, Chimpanzee tracking, Chimpanzee tracking and Wildlife Uganda Safari, Chimpanzee tracking safaris, chimpanzee trekking, Cultural tours, customized tour packages gorillas in bwindi, day tours in uganda, discounted uganda gorilla tours. Contact gorilla tracking uganda for uganda gorilla trek costs & price of Bwindi permits, Exclusive Africa Tours & Safaris, Excursions on The Nile River and Lake Victoria, FAMILY ACCOMMODATION, fly-in safaris, game viewing packages, Gorilla and Chimpanzee Trekking, gorilla habituation experience, gorilla habituation experience and safari trip, gorilla permits uganda, gorilla safari, gorilla safari costs, Gorilla Safari holidays, gorilla safaris, Gorilla Safaris Africa, gorilla safaris Rwanda, gorilla tours, gorilla tracking, gorilla tracking bwindi, gorilla tracking tour price, Gorilla tracking Uganda, Gorilla Trekking, gorilla trekking in rwanda, gorilla trekking in uganda, Gorilla trekking safaris, gorilla trekking safaris in Uganda and rwanda, Gorilla trekking safaris Uganda, Gorilla Trekking Uganda, gorilla treks, Group Tours in Uganda - Africa. Gorilla Safari, holiday travel agents, holiday vacation trips in africa, Individual tour, jinja tour, Kenya safaris and Congo(DRC) safaris, kigali, Kigali Tours, lake victoria, lodges in uganda, lowest gorilla trek price US$ dollars, Luxurious accommodation, luxury gorilla tour, luxury safari, Luxury Safari Holidays, mountain gorillas, price range gorilla trek, primate safari encounters, Primate Tracking, primates uganda, private gorilla tour uganda, Rwanda, rwanda gorilla safari, Rwanda Gorilla Safaris, rwanda gorilla tour, Rwanda Gorilla Tours, rwanda gorilla trekking, Rwanda safari, Rwanda Safaris, Rwanda safaris and holidays, Rwanda Safaris-Gorilla Trekking Rwanda Tours, Safari, safari conpanys operating Safaris, safari experiences, safari holidays, safari packages Uganda, safari trip, safari uganda, Safaris & Tours, short safaris in uganda, source of the Nile Uganda, tailor made holidays, Tailor Made Holidays to Uganda, tailormade safaris, tailormade travel, tour africa, Tour du Rwanda, Tour du Rwanda 2015, Tours & Budget Packages, Tours and gorilla safaris to Uganda and Rwanda in Africa, tours from kigali, travel, travel agents, travel to africa, travels company, tree climbing lions in uganda, Uganda accommodation, Uganda Birding Tours, uganda budget travel, Uganda camps, Uganda family vacation, uganda forests, uganda gorilla safaris, Uganda Gorilla Tour, Uganda Gorilla Tracking, uganda gorilla tracking safari, uganda gorilla trek, uganda gorilla trek cost, uganda gorillas, Uganda holidays, Uganda lodges, uganda on a budget, uganda safari, Uganda safari tours, Uganda safaris, Uganda Safaris and Gorilla Tours for Gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda, Uganda Safaris and Rwanda Tours, Uganda safaris and tours, uganda tour agent, Uganda tours, Uganda vacation, visit rwanda gorillas, volcanoes National Park Rwanda, wild Rwanda safaris, Wildlife Rwanda Safaris, Wildlife safaris, wildlife Uganda safari tours
Gorilla Tracking In Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya (Africa)
Gorilla trekking is a memorable experience, providing a close encounter with these giants of the forests, in their natural habitat. Trekking can take place either in Uganda, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo or Republic of Congo. Permits are heavily restricted, so booking early is vital.
You need not feel that you are exploiting these animals by paying to see them in their natural habitat. In fact, tourism is an important factor in their survival. The income from permits is used to help set up and finance patrols that are instrumental in protecting the gorillas from poachers.
How close to the gorillas do you get?
Officially, sevenmeters. It is very important that you adhere to the guidelines laid down by your guide during the pre-trek briefing. The rules are designed for the benefit of both humans and gorillas, particularly to reduce the spread of infection. Whilst it can be difficult to keep to this distance (the gorillas have never been told of this particular rule), please be aware of your guide’s comments and follow these to the letter.
The gorillas are usually spread out in the forest, sometimes out in the open, other times hiding in the shadows, so you may only catch glimpses of them. You may be very lucky and see them all out in the open. Generally, you will have a full hour with the group, although a few extended permits are now available – ask our experts to explain how this works.
Gorillas are the largest of the primates, with two species, the western gorilla and eastern gorilla. These are then divided into four sub-species; western lowland gorilla, eastern lowland gorilla (also known as Grauer’s gorilla), mountain gorilla and Cross River gorilla.
Eastern lowland gorilla (Grauer’s gorilla):
- Population: 2,000-5,000 v
- Features: largest and stockiest of all gorillas. Longer faces and broader chests with darker hair
- Description: Males weigh on average 163kg (359lbs) and have a standing height of 1.69m (5ft 7ins) whilst females are slightly shorter at 1.58m (5ft 3ins) and are half the weight of the males
- Found: Forests of DRC to the west of Mitumbar Mountains and Lake Tanganyika
- Threats: poaching, bush meat and logging
- Population: less than 900
- Features: longest and thickest hair for warmth in colder, higher altitudes, generally very shy creatures
- Description: Males can weigh up to 195kg (430lbs) and can stand at 1.5m (4ft 11ins) whilst females are about half that weight and stand at 1.3m (4ft 3ins)
- Found: Mountains of Virunga straddling Rwanda and DRC and southern Uganda (Bwindi)
- Threats: mountain gorillas are currently on the Critically Endangered IUCN Red List.
Western Gorilla – Gorilla Gorilla
- Population: uncertain – less than 95,000
- Features: smallest of all the gorillas, with bigger skulls and pronounced brow bridges. They have the shortest hair and longest arms
- Description: Adult males have brown-grey/auburn hair on their foreheads and weigh around 157kg (345lbs) and can stand at 1.55m (5ft 2ins) whilst females are around 1.35m (4ft 6ins) and again around half the weight of a male.
- Found: forests of northern Republic of Congo, CAR, DRC, Gabon and southern Cameroon
Cross River Gorilla – gorilla diehli
- Population: 200-300
- Features: similar to western lowland gorillas in body size. Smaller cranium vault and shorter skulls
- Description: Average adult male height: 1.7m. (5ft 7ins) weighing in at 140-200kg (310-440lbs). Females are about 0.3m (1ft) shorter and half the weight
- Found: a small area between the southern border of Cameroon and Nigeria at the headwaters of the Cross River from where they take their name
With broad chests and shoulders, large, human-like hands and small eyes set into hairless faces, gorillas display many human-like behaviours and emotions, such as laughter and sadness and even make their own tools to help them survive in the forest. In fact, gorillas share 98.3% of their genetic code with humans, making them our closest cousins after chimpanzees and bonobos.
Why Track Gorillas in Uganda and not any other Place?
A gorilla tracking permit in Uganda costs $600 compared to $1500 in Rwanda, that makes it cheaper to track in Uganda than in Rwanda. It is a bit cheaper in DRC but the stability of DRC is never predictable so that leaves Uganda as the best place to track the endangered Gorillas.
Uganda has four tracking points for the Gorillas spread out in Bwindi national park while Rwanda has one national park with Gorillas and that makes the place a bit competitive for the trackers.
You have high changes of viewing other game while tracking gorillas in Uganda like forest bird, goldens monkeys in Mgahinga, Forest Elephants etc.
Therefore if you are thinking Mountain gorilla tracking? Think Uganda and have an experience of a life time.